Wed, Sep 21|
2023 Plein Air Paint Out - Call for Artists
Time & Location
Sep 21, 2022, 8:00 AM EDT – Sep 23, 2022, 8:00 PM EDT
Mount Holly, 500 E Central Ave, Mt Holly, NC 28120, USA
About the Event
EVENT DATES: September 21-23, 2023, in Mount Holly, NC.
PARTICIPATION FEES: $30 application fee
OVERVIEW: Arts Mount Holly’s 5th annual Plein Air Event is a 2.5-day, open enrollment plein air painting event that concludes with a "Wet Paint" Art Show & Sale and awards on Saturday evening from 5:00 to 6:30 pm on September 23rd.
The event takes place in the beautiful city of Mount Holly, NC, Thursday, September 21st, to Saturday September 23rd, 2023. The event celebrates the tradition of outdoor painting by welcoming artists from across the region to share their talents beauty of Mount Holly and the surrounding areas. Participating artists are invited to explore their choice of locations each day.
PARTICIPATION: We will be accepting up to 50 artists, which includes area middle and high school art students.
PARTICIPATION FEES: The event application fee is $30 and payable via check, Venmo (ID- @Mthollycdf) or via Eventbrite. Please note that Eventbrite payments are subject to a convenience fee.
All application fees are nonrefundable.
Checks should be made to Arts Mount Holly, list “Plein Air Fee” in the memo line and be mailed to Arts Mount Holly MHCDF, PO Box 93, Mount Holly NC 28120.
Application Deadline: September 10th Both applications and application fees are due by September 10th.
Artist Check In at Arts on the Greenway – 500 E Central Ave, Mount Holly
*Artists must check in to have their canvas or paper stamped prior to beginning work to be eligible for entry in the Saturday “Wet Paint” Sale. Volunteers will be available from 8am-10am and 2pm-4pm, Daily. Early check-in may be available upon request.
Participating artists are invited to explore Mount Holly and the surrounding community. A list of recommended locations will be distributed two weeks in advance.
Wednesday, September 20th Early check in by appointment only.
Thursday, September 21st and Friday, September 22nd
· Registration opens from 8am to 10am
Saturday, September 23rd
· 11am-2pm: Painting Drop Off
· 3pm-5pm: Closed for Judging and Purchase Award Selections
· 5pm to 6pm Silent auction and wet paint sale
· 6pm to 6:30pm Award Ceremony and sales
· 6:30pm Artists collect any unsold paintings
*Schedule subject to change. Final schedule will be distributed two weeks in advance.
LIABILITY: Arts Mount Holly, the Mount Holly Community Development Foundation, and Arts on the Greenway will not assume any liability for loss or damage to works of art in this exhibition. Although utmost care will be taken to prevent damage, theft, or loss, there can be no guarantee as the exhibition will be in venues open to the public. Entry in the show constitutes agreement with all conditions in this prospectus.
Participating in the exhibit includes permission to sell the art entry and make digital images of exhibited artwork for Arts Mount Holly archives. 30% commission on all artwork sold during the Arts Mount Holly Plein Air Festival will be retained by Arts Mount Holly, with all event sales handled by Arts Mount Holly. If the item is unsold at the sale, the artist may choose to keep the piece or donate the item.
For more information: contact Stephanie McLaughlin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704.654.1829
Artwork must be two-dimensional medium including oils, acrylics, watercolor, gouache, ink, mixed media, and pastels.
All artwork must be done “en plein air” outside, in natural lighting during the time frame of the event.
Artists may stamp an unlimited number of canvases/paper but will submit only up to two pieces for the Wet Paint Show and Sale and awards.
Canvases must be free of images prior to stamping, though a solid base coat of paint is allowed. All work wired for hanging and framed must remain open back to facilitate viewing of the festival stamp on the back.
All work must be turned in with paperwork by 2:30 pm Saturday, September 21, 2023.
● All proceeds from the registration and art sale will go towards fulfilling the mission of Arts Mount Holly in the community.
● Payment to artists for awards and work sold will be mailed within 30 days after the event ends.
● Any "off the easel" sales during the event agree to make a donation to Arts Mount Holly comparable to the event commission. Those pieces will not be eligible to be part of the Wet Paint Show or awards.
● Any unsold art may be collected by the artist at the conclusion of the day. However, we strongly encourage artists to leave work in the sale through September. Many additional sales occur during this month. Arts on the Greenway is not responsible for return shipping. It is the responsibility of the artist to pick up unsold work by October 14th.
Artists may paint at a variety of locations of their choosing within the area surrounding the picturesque town of Mount Holly. Past sold pieces included everything from street scenes, to local landmarks, florals, to marina and river landscapes.
Artist/sponsor mixer 5:00-6:30 pm Friday evening, August 16 – Friday August 18
Art may be turned in earlier by appointment. Artists collect any unsold paintings if they do not wish to participate in the extended sale. Sold artwork claimed by purchasers with receipt.
Cancelation policy: an 80% refund will be issued if artists cancel before September 15, 2023
Registration is online at www.eventbrite.......
What to Bring
· Canvas/paper – Keep in mind sizing for your plein air framing.
· Frames, screws, wire - All pieces for the show/sale are encouraged to be wired to hang. Stamps should be visible on the back of the artwork. Please use open back frames.
· Paint and palettes – Are you a "less is more," or "everything but the kitchen sink" painter? Brushes, paints, pastels, pencils, knives etc. Forget something? Lucky for you there is a first-rate art supply store a stone’s throw away – Jerry’s Artarama will be on site.
· Weather – You never know, but we’ll post information about expected weather for those days as we get closer to the event.
· Easel, tripod, umbrella, chair, etc – bring your preferred arrangement, being aware that mountain breezes can be surprisingly strong. □
· Paper towels, as well as bags for trash and emergency rain shields
· Camera to record the scenes you might not get to paint all in one weekend
· Bulldog clips, tape, bungees, whatever your method to secure your painting & accessories
· Brush washing solvents or water and containers - Bring a spare in case of spills.
· Small sketch pad and tools, viewfinder □ Backpack and/or box to carry it all.
· Water and snacks. Mount Holly has some wonderful few market and restaurant options.
Thanks to our generous sponsors: Mount Holly Tourism Development Authority, Mount Holly Community Development Foundation, and Arts on the Greenway